Tree photograph submissions
Digital photographs are invaluable. When nominating a tree you can submit up to 5 photos (jpg files). In separate photos, try to capture the tree in profile, the base of the tree, with and without a scale reference (e.g. a person), the tree canopy, any noteworthy features, and the ecosystem or forest it is growing in. We ask that you also include a photo of a person measuring trunk circumference showing the place and height at which the measurement was taken. For each photo you will need to include: photographer/image owner’s first and last name, email address (kept confidential), photo date and a photo description (optional).
Image Submission – Terms and Copyright
Before submitting a photograph you must obtain permission from the image owner and consent from all people captured in the photograph. By submitting an image to the Registry you are acknowledging and agreeing to the following terms and copyright notice:
- The image copyright remains with the photographer/owner of the image.
- The BC BigTree Registry is allowed to use and display the image in the BC BigTree Registry, on the BC BigTree Website, and in their publications.
- You understand that the personal information you provide is being collected pursuant to section 26 of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 165. The image owner’s or copyright holder’s name will be publicly displayed in connection with the appearance of this image. The image owner’s or copyright holder’ name and the image could be stored, accessed or disclosed outside of Canada. This situation would apply if social media is used to promote or advertise the BC BigTree Registry and its activities. For example, the image and the image owner’s or copyright holder’s name could appear on a Facebook page or a Twitter account or feed showcasing the trees in the BC BigTree Registry.
- If you are not the image owner or copyright holder it is your responsibility to obtain their permission to upload the image for use on the BC BigTree Registry and BC BigTree Website. You must also obtain their consent to having their name and the image being stored, accessed or disclosed outside of Canada.
- If the photo includes anyone else, you hereby certify that you have obtained the permission of that person to appear in the photo, and for you to post the photo on-line generally, or in the BC BigTree Registry and BC BigTree Website, in particular.
- The BC BigTree Registry and BC BigTree Website can not control or block the theft or download of an image displayed on a public access website.